Sunday, March 21, 2010

And the first team to arrive is......

Although we were not geeted by a hansome American actor and local stating "You are the first team to arrive.....we hae good news, you have been upgrades to firts class on your way home........", the good news is that 30 hours after leaving Bradley Airport in CT, we touched down in HCMC (Saigon). We were met by te Eurkas representatives, the in country group working with Catalyst managing all of the "ground work"  for us volunteers.

The travel was long, but fortunatly unevenful. We traveled from CT to Detriot, to Tokyo, to Saigon. The kids fantastic.Jesse earned the sleeping award, Maya (my friends daughter) came in second with 3 hours, and The ever ready bunny (AKA) Noah, last place with with all of one hour. I did happen to wake up just in time to fnd Noah, in true big brother fashion about stick a coffee stirrer ito Jesse's ear. His reply was "what, I was trying to see if she wanted on". WHY would you wake a sleeping child over a coffee stirrer.......Ok, best  do not dewll on that.

Arriving at midnight made getting through the airport and to our hotel much easier, less crowds and traffic. Now we can acclimate to the hussle and bustle of Vietnam a little slower.

Today's plan, in true American fashion is shopping, and according to Martha, aot of shopping we will. With Maya, the queen negotiator at th helm, bargains ae just awaiting our arrival at the Ben Than market. Then fresh, delicious food awaits us.

We have ventured away from the higer end hotel are and are staying in the backpack section of Saigon. How our comfort levels and budgets have changed since my fist arival 11 years. Amazing what becoming a Mom cand to ones need, or at this point I should say lack of needs.   

More to come later......

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sandy, Noah & Jesse!! Sooo glad that you all made it there safely!!! I love you guys and know that you will have yet another fantastic trip. I am so proud of you all for the hard work that you will be putting in to this trip!! All is good here. Sandy, amazing what prednisone and antibiotics can do!! I am feeling so much better!!! I ran in to Susie in Glastonbury after my Dr. Apt! She is doing good. Can't wait to hear all of the updates from your trip. Love and miss you!!! :) Sister & Auntie Laurie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. say hi to everyone for me! i can't believe how close i came to going... i'm gonna follow the trip closely and pretend i was there. have a blast shopping!!! love to all!
    Cousin Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sandy, so happy to hear you've made it there safely and without any unexpected incidents. Looks like you're all in for an adventure and I can't wait to hear all about it! Miss and love you and hope everything goes your way!

    Susie (and Kate)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well well Sandy, am so happy that you went their safely & hope y made a big change with thoose people & am so sad that i do not have a charity work like that.
    Say hi to Jesse & Nola & tell them we want big work.
    Hussien

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey--I finally get on your blog and I see that ugly elephant fish! Now I can't eat breakfast---- which is not such a bad thing.
    Noah is a trooper with that bruised ankle!
    I gave your email to my friend Lenore who is in Vietnam. I dont know if she is checking her emails but maybe.
    Hugs to you, Noeee, and Jess Jess. I will show Kasey your blog too. Love ya all--Andrea

    ReplyDelete