Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Work has been progressing along but with very little tools and no machines, everything is done by hand. I am on the house team. yesterday we laid bricks in out 18'x6'' two room "house". Today we began the floor. We first stuffed rice bags with clay that was dug out of the ground from area that will be the latreen and carried it to the floors. The clay was then pressed down with a weighted hand press. Next step was to carry sand from about 500 yards up a narrow path in pails and rice bags to cover the clay and press that down. Next was to carry rocks in same manor....we finished the back room and were told to wait for the "inspector" before we continued further. Of course in the process, the front wall accidentally got knocked over. It was a labor intensive day to say the least. The heat is unbearable, I have never sweat and been so dirty at the end of a day as I have been the past two.




The other half of the building tram has 1/2 of the concrete poured for the playground, as well as two of the four pole cemented in for the shade covers. The means of measurements over here are quite something, we are told...about like this for everything, leveling is measure with string. Somehow it all gets pulled together.



The kids have been sorting clothing and playing with the Kids we are sponsoring. They set up a large market for the families to come purchase with "ticket money" that the have earned for various skills. The kids set up a market and everybody came and bought stuff....



We are working a remote space by the river and getting amazing connections to local life and culture, but to mention laughed at frequently. They are amazed to see woman doing physical work. This is Tuan, my oldest son and I working side by side. Have I mentioned how proud of him I am?





This woman was doing laundry in the river at the end of the path that leads to our house site.
We were invited to sit in the neighbors home to have our lunch. This house is owned by the sister of the woman we are building the house for.



.





Bucket brigade....we needed buckets of water from the river to soften the clay. I passed on reaching into the river, worked inside pouring the buckets.


The young men walker by me with freshly killed chickens, went to a little platform in the river and began plucking and gutting. I came close to adding my own flavor to the river. So happy I am at the vegetarian table.


2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Baker's ClassApril 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM

    Hi Sandy, Noah, and Jesse,
    This morning the class went to the computer lab to see your blog on the smartboard. We enjoyed reading and seeing your adventure in Vietnam! Libby just said"We learned how different life is in Vietnam to our life in the US!" Kylee thinks you are all kind, generous and thoughtful to help the people in Vietnam. We all miss you and look forward to reading your blog next Tuesday when we are in the computer lab again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    I love reading your blog. I am so glad Tuan was able to see you. I know he thought it might be hard to take off from work. We so enjoyed meeting him in Saigon. Please give him our love.
    What a fabulous experience you are having and giving to your kids. You are remarkable! I wish I could come next time but I think I may require better hotel/bathroom facilities. We'll talk when you get home. I love the pictures. can't wait to hear more when you return.

    Love, Rita

    ReplyDelete